Friday 18 November 2016

Your Customer Service Sucks: Three Things You Can Do to Improve It

Customer service sucks. In fact, I believe that the term “customer service” is an oxymoron. Out of all the experiences I have with companies, I dread when I have to contact customer services as I know it will be a nightmare. But, it shouldn't have to be that way.


Given that the customer service industry is being overrun by social media and online review websites, some companies simply cannot keep up. Others feel that their customer service is so good they don't need to change.


In fact, 80 percent of businesses think they deliver superior customer service (while only 8 percent of customers agree), according to Jay Baer in his book, Hug Your Haters: How to Embrace Complaints and Keep Your Customers. Baer also believes that “most companies are using 1995 playbooks to solve modern customer service issues.”


Many companies see customer service as a necessary evil when it fact it needs to be a staple of their businesses. “Customer service is often a direct view into the heart of a company,” says Dan Doran, CVA and founder of Quantive Valuations. “Clients that feel loved often translate into a loyal following of brand evangelists. Done right, that following can correlate back to increased revenues and an improving bottom line. Of course, done wrong, a bad customer experience can have a massive negative impact.”


While I am not an expert on customer service, I will tell you I have dealt with enough businesses to give you my opinion. Here are a few ideas which companies can do today to help break the surface tension of what is customer service.


1. Listen. Listen. Listen


Most people just want to be heard. When you fail to let someone finish telling you a complaint, it appears that you don't really care about the issue. When it comes to dealing with complaints, please take the time to listen to the concern.


A few months ago, I contacted a restaurant after I noticed a charge on my credit card that I didn't authorize. Long story short, I was able to figure out the waiter had likely swiped my card for another table inadvertently. No biggie with me, I just wanted to make sure it was taken care of. When I called the restaurant, I didn't even finish telling the manager what I thought had happened when he cut me off and stated that he would offer me a free meal.


I didn't want a free meal, I just wanted him to listen to the issue and take care of it. I wasn't mad when I called as I know people make mistakes. However, I was mad by the time I hung up because I had to wait for the manager to finish cutting me off before I could resume telling the story.


Even if you have heard the same complaint millions of times, each person should be allowed to tell it. Doing so helps them vent some of their anger and will give you an opportunity to start displacing that anger with possible solutions.


2. Tell the Truth, Even if It's Bad


Stop lying to me. I don't really want excuses; I just want the truth. If you make a mistake, that is perfectly normal and I understand you are human. But, when you try to introduce excuses, then you lose credibility with everything else you are going to say. As an entrepreneur, you need to have high ethical standards, and this needs to translate into your customer service department.


The post Your Customer Service Sucks: Three Things You Can Do to Improve It appeared first on AllBusiness.com

The post Your Customer Service Sucks: Three Things You Can Do to Improve It appeared first on AllBusiness.com. Click for more information about Mike Wood.




No comments:

Post a Comment