Wednesday 17 August 2016

4 Things You Shouldn't Assume About Work-at-Home Micropreneurs

I'm willing to bet you know at least one person who works from home. Maybe even someone who runs a business out of their home. I'm one of those people, and have been for the past 10 years. But despite the fact that running my business out of my house makes me more efficient, saves me a ton of money, and overall makes me happier, I still find that people have a few misconceptions about the work-at-homer.


I'm here to set the record straight. Here's what you should never assume about someone that works from home:


1. Don't Assume Because They Work From Home They're Not Serious About Business


Working out of a home doesn't make a micropreneur any less professional than someone who (over)pays rent for office space. In fact, their surroundings mean nothing as it relates to the work they can produce for you. If anything, being in a space that makes them comfortable should make them more productive.


I often share tips for making a business look bigger than it is (especially for those battling this assumption), and I stress the importance of paying for a quality website and business cards. If the site is as good as that of a billion dollar corporation, no one should think twice (or even know) about that business being run out of a house.


2. Don't Assume They're at Home Watching Soap Operas and Eating Bon Bons


Yes, working from home gives you a flexible schedule. Many of us are parents, and prioritize picking the kids up from school or taking them to appointments. But that doesn't mean we aren't working hard on our businesses. I typically start working around 7 a.m. and still get a full day's work in, even if I work around other priorities in my life.


3. Don't Assume You Can Get Cheap Work


A micropreneur who runs her business out of her home isn't by default the cheapest game in town. Sure, she may have low overhead, but if she's experienced, she charges competitive rates. So don't try to dicker down rates on a project simply because the service provider works out of her home. Value her worth based on her skills and experiences. If you're looking for cheap work, look overseas (but realize: you get what you pay for).


4. Don't Assume They Work 24/7


I don't get the trend of people working on the weekends. Or after hours. I think the move toward being constantly on and continually working is unhealthy, and it's not one I participate in. Just because my home office is steps away from me all the time doesn't mean I'm open for business 24/7. I've had to tell clients I don't work on the weekends (isn't that a given??) so that they respect the boundaries of my work schedule.


If you're considering hiring someone who works out of her home, do so confidently. After all, she's a business owner like anyone else. And leave these assumptions behind!


The post 4 Things You Shouldn't Assume About Work-at-Home Micropreneurs appeared first on AllBusiness.com

The post 4 Things You Shouldn't Assume About Work-at-Home Micropreneurs appeared first on AllBusiness.com. Click for more information about Susan Payton.




No comments:

Post a Comment